Paul’s Second Defense to the Sanhedrin
Series Opening Up Acts
Explaining the Defense
- Paul had been in the temple with four believers; a mob formed trying to kill him; saved by the Romans then made his first defense(apology) before the crowd of a Jewish worshippers ( ch. 21:27-22:21)
- "The next day" Claudius Lydias, the Roman tribune "desiring to know the real reason why he was being accused by the Jews…commanded…all the council (Sanhedrin) to meet (22:30)
The Sanhedrin has been called the "supreme court of the Jewish nation" (F.F. Bruce)
it was made up of the two parties of Pharisees & Sadducees which were either "chief priests, elders, scribes," with high priest as chairman.
- Paul's defense (Greek, apologia, "apology")
"I have lived my life (Greek, politeuoma, has political overtones of "being a good citizen") before God I all good conscience up to this day" (23:1)
"The high priest Ananias commanded…to strike him on the mouth" (23:2)
-Became high priest in AD 48, reputation as violent, untrustworthy, taker of bribes, confiscator of the old tithes, and being pro-Roman.
"God is going to strike you whitewashed wall!" (23:3)
-In AD 66, the Jews burned his house casing him to flee, where he was found in an aqueduct and
"I did not know he was the high priest" (23:5); citing Exodus 22:28
"I am a Pharisee…it is with respect to the hope and the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial"
Applying the Defense
- 1st Entrust your life to loving providence of God very moment in every area
- 2nd Be confident that God has a plan & purpose for the evil that befalls you
- 3rd Embrace the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ with you in suffering
|Date||Aug 13, 2023|
|Category||Sunday - AM|
|Bible Text||Acts 22:22-23:22|