Ephesians 4:22-32 " That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25 ¶ Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."
Several worldviews are competing with Christmas for the affection of our hearts and minds. This message explores consumerism and materialism. Our salvation and true satisfaction is found in Christ our SAvoir. Even God uses material things to encourage, guide, and protect us, but we worship the God who gives things. WE do not worship the things.
Several worldviews are competing with Christmas for the affection of our hearts and minds. This message explores consumerism and materialism. Our salvation and true satisfaction is found in Christ, our Savoir. Even God uses material things to encourage, guide, and protect us, but we worship the God who gives us things. We do not worship the things.
Poisons and Antidotes of Effective Living
A look at the things that Help or Hurt our Witness and Work from Paul's letter to the Philippians.
11.26.2023 pm service at Briggs Chapel
What are some of the things that HINDER our witness and work?
What are some of the things that will HELP AND AID our witness and work?
An Overview of Philippians
Triumphal in many things, even good things, but not in the excellent thing. Philippians 1
***1. Triumphal and growing in the ability to discern the excellent thing. Philippians 1
Temporary thoughts on life and death. Philippians 1:
***2. Properly reflect on Christ at work in us and what is to come through life and in death. Philippians 1:
Terror of being rejected and persecuted for living heavenly-minded lives. Philippians 1
***3. Recognize the blessings of persecution and how it manifests believers and unbelievers that the threats of others do not make us defensive. Philippians 1
Taking more Concern and Care of Ourselves and missing the example of Jesus. Philippians 2
***4. Dying to self-interest and the need to demand the right to be treated fairly, rightly and honorably because we are believers — looking to the example of Jesus, who didn't consider Himself cheated when others didn't see and exalt Him for who He is. Philippians 2
More in comments…
Who and What makes a difference in our witness and work?
#nestingwithjesus #philippians1 #acts16 #philippians1and9thru11 #knowinglove #growinglove #expandinglove #stretchedlove #wiselove #love
#grace #mega #megagrace #greatgrace #jesus #crucifiedlife #greatexpectation
Work It Out
Working Out — What God Is Working In Us.
Paul emphasizes the importance of faithfully working out one's salvation with fear and trembling, as God works in and through His sheep for His good pleasure.
God works IN us both to will and to do according to His good pleasure, and when we work WITH Him BY faith, He glorifies Himself THROUGH our lives.
Summary bullet points from the transcription of this message.
• Philippians 2:15-16 and obedience in God's absence.
◦ Pastor Nick Holden and Shannon Ryals discuss the importance of being blameless and shining light in the world as believers who trust and follow Jesus.
◦ Paul emphasizes that God is the one working in believers, not him, and that believers can continue to walk in obedience even when he's not present (Philippines2:12-14).
◦ Paul disassociates himself from any credit for believers' obedience when he's not present, instead emphasizing God's work in them.
• God's Who Completes Us and Works In Us to Fulfill His Purpose In Our Lives.
◦ Pastor Nick emphasizes the importance of God completing us in every good work and working in us what is well pleasing in His sight through Jesus Christ (Hebrews 13:20-21).
◦ God works in us both to will and to do according to His good pleasure, and when we work with Him through faith, He glorifies Himself through our lives.
◦ Paul emphasizes the importance of God's work in us and our working with Him to shine as lights in the world.
• Faith and influence in a dark world.
◦ Pastor Nick emphasizes the importance of being a light in the world, leading to an everlasting impact on future generations.
◦ Pastor Nick encourages believers to stay true, harmless, and faith
A Helpful or Hurtful Witness
11.26.2023 am service at Briggs Chapel
An introductory overview of Paul's letter and message to the church that gathered in Philippi (Philippians).
What Hinders Our Witness and Work?
What Helps Our Witness and Work?
Summary bullet points from the transcription of this message.
• Growing up, discipline, and faith.
◦ Pastor Nick Holden reminisces about his childhood, including his father's disciplinary methods and his own mischievous behavior.
◦ Pastor Nick recounts a specific incident where he disobeyed his father's instructions and started the family car, resulting in a lasting lesson about respecting boundaries.
◦ Pastor Nick discusses the church at Philippi, mentioning its founding in Acts 16 and the apostle Paul's establishing the work there and continued connection to the church.
◦ Pastor Nick shares insights on the joy and gladness found in the book of Philippians, highlighting the richness of the letter and its significance to the church.
• The witness and work of God in believers.
◦ God opened Lydia's heart to the gospel, and she immediately invited Paul to her house to stay and be cared for.
◦ Despite being beaten and imprisoned, the jailer got saved that night and brought Paul to his house to care for him, showing his newfound faith in action.
◦ Pastor Nick highlights the importance of praying for one another to abound in love, as seen in Philippians 1:9.
◦ He emphasizes the need to see the work of God in us and be effective in our journey, as mentioned in the letter.
• Growing in love and maturity through knowledge and discernment. ..
**more bullet points in comments
#nestingwithjesus #philippians1 #acts16 #philip
Jesus is the Spirit Anointed Messiah of Israel. John's theme is that Jesus is the One who surpasses him, one Essence with the Father. But John says - I did not know the magnitude of His Person and His Work. But the Father revealed these things to me. The word of the Lord came to him. The same is true for you and me as well. The Holy Spirit must illuminate our minds and our hearts to the truth concerning Christ and our need of Him.
In the 5th word, we hear a perceptive word. Christ cries, "I thirst" as He meticulously fulfills the Scriptures one by one and line by line. Jesus Christ the Lord is absolutely amazing. He left nothing out, but in detailed precision - down to the jot and the tittle - He accomplished all things which had been written. In the 6th word is a perfecting word, "It is finished." At the last cry we hear a parting word when He said, "Father, into thy hands..." We will hear the victory's cry in this sermon! Hallelujah! the work of Jesus Christ upon the Cross is a finished work!
In chapter 10, we are bombarded with a series of seemingly disjointed wisdom sayings that leave us saying amen while simultaneously scratching our heads wondering, "Okay... but why?" By heeding the Teacher's admonitions, the wise student will learn the meaning behind this both simple and abstract chapter.
These three men here have their eyes on the prize and understood that they had a part to play, and gladly did it because they saw something better ahead of them. In these verses we see how faith should work on three different levels in our lives so that we too can play our role and end our lives well.
The Gospel of the Kingdom - Message 111 - The Coming of the Son of Man - Matthew 24:36-51. Jesus begins now to answer the second question the disciples had asked in verse 3, "what will be the sign of Your coming (parousia)?" His answer leaves us with no signs or notice about His coming, but with encouragement to stay awake, be ready, and remain faithful.