LORD'S DAY 49
124. What is the third petition?
"Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven;" that is, grant that we and all men renounce our own will, and without gainsaying obey Thy will, which alone is good; so that every one may fulfill his office and calling as willingly and faithfully as the angels do in heaven.
Peter is addressing the Jewish believers who were forced to flee Jerusalem, when a great persecution began on the day that Stephen was stoned to death.By God's great mercy which flows out of His love for us, we have been born again to the living hope of resurrection and an inheritance has been prepared for us which is imperishable, undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for us.
Work It Out
Working Out — What God Is Working In Us.
Paul emphasizes the importance of faithfully working out one's salvation with fear and trembling, as God works in and through His sheep for His good pleasure.
God works IN us both to will and to do according to His good pleasure, and when we work WITH Him BY faith, He glorifies Himself THROUGH our lives.
Summary bullet points from the transcription of this message.
• Philippians 2:15-16 and obedience in God's absence.
◦ Pastor Nick Holden and Shannon Ryals discuss the importance of being blameless and shining light in the world as believers who trust and follow Jesus.
◦ Paul emphasizes that God is the one working in believers, not him, and that believers can continue to walk in obedience even when he's not present (Philippines2:12-14).
◦ Paul disassociates himself from any credit for believers' obedience when he's not present, instead emphasizing God's work in them.
• God's Who Completes Us and Works In Us to Fulfill His Purpose In Our Lives.
◦ Pastor Nick emphasizes the importance of God completing us in every good work and working in us what is well pleasing in His sight through Jesus Christ (Hebrews 13:20-21).
◦ God works in us both to will and to do according to His good pleasure, and when we work with Him through faith, He glorifies Himself through our lives.
◦ Paul emphasizes the importance of God's work in us and our working with Him to shine as lights in the world.
• Faith and influence in a dark world.
◦ Pastor Nick emphasizes the importance of being a light in the world, leading to an everlasting impact on future generations.
◦ Pastor Nick encourages believers to stay true, harmless, and faith
Why does God still find fault? Romans 9:19–24 prepares us for the sermon in the midweek prayer meeting. In these six verses of Holy Scripture, the Holy Spirit teaches us that the real question is not why God finds fault, but why hasn't He yet destroyed those who are at fault?
We continue a year through what we believe as Christians using the Heidelberg Catechism.
This evening, we continue in its third part on our grateful response to God's grace delivering us from all guilt. In the Lord's Prayer, we learn that we were made for communion with God. In its third petition, we ask God to help us obey His commands and be faithful to His calling. Let's listen in to what the Holy Spirit has for us today...
Obeying God's Will (various Scriptures)
Following God's Call (1 Cor. 7:17–24)
The Creator of all the universe has given us a gift to be able to communicate with Him and express our needs and concerns and yet, prayer is often under-utilized by the people of God. Be fervent in prayer and accomplish much to the glory of God.