Poisons and Antidotes of Effective Living
A look at the things that Help or Hurt our Witness and Work from Paul's letter to the Philippians.
11.26.2023 pm service at Briggs Chapel
What are some of the things that HINDER our witness and work?
What are some of the things that will HELP AND AID our witness and work?
An Overview of Philippians
Triumphal in many things, even good things, but not in the excellent thing. Philippians 1
***1. Triumphal and growing in the ability to discern the excellent thing. Philippians 1
Temporary thoughts on life and death. Philippians 1:
***2. Properly reflect on Christ at work in us and what is to come through life and in death. Philippians 1:
Terror of being rejected and persecuted for living heavenly-minded lives. Philippians 1
***3. Recognize the blessings of persecution and how it manifests believers and unbelievers that the threats of others do not make us defensive. Philippians 1
Taking more Concern and Care of Ourselves and missing the example of Jesus. Philippians 2
***4. Dying to self-interest and the need to demand the right to be treated fairly, rightly and honorably because we are believers — looking to the example of Jesus, who didn't consider Himself cheated when others didn't see and exalt Him for who He is. Philippians 2
More in comments…
Who and What makes a difference in our witness and work?
#nestingwithjesus #philippians1 #acts16 #philippians1and9thru11 #knowinglove #growinglove #expandinglove #stretchedlove #wiselove #love
#grace #mega #megagrace #greatgrace #jesus #crucifiedlife #greatexpectation
A Helpful or Hurtful Witness
11.26.2023 am service at Briggs Chapel
An introductory overview of Paul's letter and message to the church that gathered in Philippi (Philippians).
What Hinders Our Witness and Work?
What Helps Our Witness and Work?
Summary bullet points from the transcription of this message.
• Growing up, discipline, and faith.
◦ Pastor Nick Holden reminisces about his childhood, including his father's disciplinary methods and his own mischievous behavior.
◦ Pastor Nick recounts a specific incident where he disobeyed his father's instructions and started the family car, resulting in a lasting lesson about respecting boundaries.
◦ Pastor Nick discusses the church at Philippi, mentioning its founding in Acts 16 and the apostle Paul's establishing the work there and continued connection to the church.
◦ Pastor Nick shares insights on the joy and gladness found in the book of Philippians, highlighting the richness of the letter and its significance to the church.
• The witness and work of God in believers.
◦ God opened Lydia's heart to the gospel, and she immediately invited Paul to her house to stay and be cared for.
◦ Despite being beaten and imprisoned, the jailer got saved that night and brought Paul to his house to care for him, showing his newfound faith in action.
◦ Pastor Nick highlights the importance of praying for one another to abound in love, as seen in Philippians 1:9.
◦ He emphasizes the need to see the work of God in us and be effective in our journey, as mentioned in the letter.
• Growing in love and maturity through knowledge and discernment. ..
**more bullet points in comments
#nestingwithjesus #philippians1 #acts16 #philip
Greetings and welcome! This is our worship service for November 26, 2023. Today we continue our series in the Book of Philippians with commands that are impossible to follow on our own, but the promise of God is sure. Thanks for joining us!
Anxiety is the wrong normal. We worry about all the things of life, but the sad paradox is that this anxiety shortens our health and life. How do we give our worries to the Lord? By prayer. If God has adopted us as His son or daughter, then we are welcome to come into His throne room and lay out our worries before Him. The answer to our problems is not removing them; it is Who we go to with them.
It is in difficult situations that our Christianity is proved. If Paul could thank God in prison, can we not thank Him in the midst of the liberties and blessings we enjoy? When we go to Jesus Christ, we will find comfort for our souls.
What is our mind focused on? If our eyes are always on our problems, we will never have true peace. Let the peace of Christ guard and keep your mind so that your life may be filled with thanks to Him!
Greetings and welcome! This is our worship service for November 19, 2023. Today we continue our series in the Book of Philippians in chapter 3 with the calling to be thankful and to pursue holiness. Thanks for joining us!
Greetings and welcome! This is our Worship Service for November 12, 2023. Today we continue our series in the Book of Philippians in chapter 3 with good news about Jesus and bad news about false teachers. Watch out! And watch out that you put no confidence in the flesh. Thanks for joining us.
Greetings and welcome! This is our worship service for November 6, 2023. Today we continue our series in the Book of Philippians in chapter 2 with the call to evaluate our focus and honor those who work for Christ. Thanks for joining us!
Clearly there is both visible and spiritual evidence of salvation in the true Christian's life. For those who might argue against having the mind and heart described here, Paul is gently but decisively rejecting this attitude as spiritual immaturity.
Greetings and welccome! This our worship service for October 29, 2023. Today we continue our series in the Book of Philippians in chapter 2 with instructions on working our salvation with fear and trembling, as well as commands not to argue, grumble, or complain! Thanks for joining us.