Originally located in Cades Cove of the Smoky Mountain National Park was the Cades Cove Missionary Baptist Church. Forced by the demands of the National Park Service to vacate the area and to preserve the building for historical purposes, the church met for the last time on August 26, 1956. The then current pastor, Homer Burns, and thirty-two members, along with a group of non-members, wanted to continue worshiping together, however. Under the leadership of Pastor Burns’ they set about locating an alternative location. On September 16, 1956 this group met to establish the new church location. They settled on Gamble Lane in Walland and changed the church name to Ridgeview Baptist (necessary due to another church using the name Cades Cove Baptist church in Blount County), where we remain today. The church has experienced many changes over its many years of history outside the park boundaries, but due to the blessings of our dear Lord and Savior, it continues to be a spiritual beacon shining faithfully in the Walland community of Blount County.
|Jan 20, 2013