Great Victoria Street Baptist Church can trace its origins to a small fellowship of Baptists which by 1811 met above a cobbler's shop in King Street. In 1847 its membership of about 15 was reconstituted as a church supported by the Baptist Irish Society with a settled pastor and large premises in Academy Street. By 1861 new premises were sought and the church met temporarily in Victoria Hall in Queens Square until a building was erected on the present site in 1866 seating 430. Additional land was purchased in 1944 and new halls erected in 1961. The seating capacity was enlarged to 720 and it was one of the largest Baptist church buildings in Ireland for many years. Although the membership is drawn from a very wide geographical area covering North, South, East and West Belfast, and further afield, it retains a deep interest in the life and work of the city centre. We share the conviction that the character and voice of God are needed in the heart of a city's life.